Sales in freight forwarding
Created on May 20, 2022
In this article you will get:
Sales in freight forwarding are one of the key components responsible for a forwarder’s success.
Just as in any other kind of business, creating a sales strategy for your freight forwarder involves sensitivity to understanding the diversity of business partners and the ways to conduct the relationship with them to establish a good partnership.
All freight forwarders want to create a sales strategy that will increase their business generation, but before doing that, there are a few things about sales in freight forwarding that need to be clear…
Ways to make sales in freight forwarding
Building a sales strategy for freight forwarders is a challenge and, more than that, a process that requires constant follow-up.
Succeeding in sales in freight forwarding business involves the ability to understand the mindset of your potential freight partners and provide them with exactly what they are looking for in a business partnership.
Even though each forwarding company has its own strategies and processes for qualifying, engaging, and converting new business opportunities, there are basic concepts that must be considered in order to develop an effective strategy.
Here are two of those concepts:
- Inbound sales begin when a lead comes from a potential customer reaching out to your freight forwarder to inquire about your services or products;
- Outbound sales are the result of a prospecting effort to a potential customer who has not yet expressed interest in a product or service offered by your company.
The main difference between inbound sales and outbound sales is the origin of the lead. So when we talk about these two types of making sales, we can simplify by saying that inbound sales is the process in which the client or partner comes to you.
In this type of sale, your company and its services are already known, either through your marketing actions, recommendations from other forwarders you have worked with, platforms you use to promote your business (Google, Instagram, Facebook, and/or Linkedin…) or through the logistics network you are part of, such as Parnity, for example.
Outbound sales, on the other hand, happen when your sales team makes an effort to attract new customers to your business – here, your company is responsible for looking for new possible freight partners and reaching out to them (through calls, emails, visits…) in order to promote your services and develop new shipments.
How to improve your forwarder’s sales
The first thing you must know to increase your sales in freight forwarding is which strategies you will use for each type of sale – inbound and outbound.
Effective sales professionals are prepared not only to generate more business opportunities but also to better execute your inbound sales or outbound sales strategy.
Besides that, if you are building your freight forwarding sales strategy or thinking about updating your current strategy to increase your freight forwarding sales and stand out in the logistics market, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Freight forwarder customer success is an essential mindset to have inside your company if you want to succeed, so keep your customers and your partners at the center of your freight business;
- To build your forwarder sales process you need to know what you can present to your clients as a strength, therefore, know the strengths and weaknesses of your company;
- You need to know where you want to arrive in order to know if you are succeeding, and setting your forwarding company’s goals is the best way to do it;
- Your freight forwarding company’s marketing strategy must be aligned with your sales team’s strategies;
- Building a relationship with your forwarding partners is key to a successful business and you can do this by becoming part of a logistics network (such as Parnity), joining Linkedin and Facebook groups, and/or attending freight forwarding events.
As you can see, building a sales strategy for freight forwarders isn’t an easy task, but with the right guidance, you get there!
If you want to learn more about inbound and outbound sales as well as how to improve your freight forwarder sales, check out the video below.
If you liked the video above, don’t forget to subscribe to Parnity’s YouTube Channel to learn more business tips!