Tips to boost sales in freight forwarding
Created on August 24, 2022
In this article you will get:
Freight forwarding sales are one of the first factors observed when analyzing a forwarder’s success. That’s why the vast majority of freight forwarders are looking for new ways to create an effective sales strategy that will increase their business generation. If you are one of these agents, read on to learn 7 tips to boost sales in freight forwarding…
First things first
Building a sales strategy for freight forwarders is a challenge and, more than that, a process that requires constant follow-up.
While each transportation company has its own strategies and processes for qualifying, engaging, and converting new business opportunities, there are basic concepts that must be considered to develop an effective strategy.
So before we get started, let’s take a look at some of these concepts:
- Inbound sales begin when a lead comes from a potential customer reaching out to your freight forwarder to inquire about your services or products.
- Outbound sales are the result of a prospecting effort to a potential customer who has not yet expressed interest in a product or service offered by your company.
- Customer experience (CX): set of actions taken to improve and optimize the interactions between consumers and companies in all phases of the relationship process (pre-sale, during the sale, and post-sale).
- Customer success: is related to the freight customer journey, and how it will succeed. The team responsible for customer success aims to help freight customers be more successful throughout their journey.
- Sales Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): metrics that help sales teams measure their effectiveness and efficiency, with the overall goal of improving methodologies and processes to drive sales.
Now that you know some key concepts, it’s time to learn how to apply them to the tips to boost sales in freight forwarding below.
7 tips to increase sales in freight forwarding
If you are building your freight forwarding sales strategy or thinking about updating your current strategy to increase your forwarding sales and stand out in the logistics market, here are some tips to boost sales in freight forwarding that will help you:
- The first thing you must know to increase your sales in freight forwarding is what strategies you will use for each type of sale – inbound and outbound.
The main difference between inbound and outbound sales is the origin of the lead.
So, when talking about these two types of sales, we can simplify by saying that inbound sales are the process through which the customer or partner comes to you, in other words, your company and its services are already known.
Outbound sales happen when your sales team makes an effort to attract new customers to your business.
- Customer experience must occur throughout the entire process, it can never stop. Bringing the customer experience to the center of your forwarding company is a major key to success.
Once your freight partners are satisfied with the services you are providing, the more likely they are to come back and recommend your forwarder to others.
- Forwarder customer success is an essential mindset to have within your company if you want to ensure that the customer journey is the best it can be.
Take the time to listen to what your customers have to say, ask them how you can do a better job, how you can help them, ask for suggestions and be open to feedback.
In addition to building a good relationship with your freight customers, it is important to build a relationship with your forwarding partners. Remember to always put your freight forwarding customers and your partners at the center of your business.
- While building your freight forwarder’s sales strategy, keep in mind the strengths and weaknesses of your business. This way you will know what you can present to your customers as a strength and understand what can be improved.
Likewise, you should also outline what goals your company wants to achieve. List everything that you think is possible for your freight forwarding company to achieve in a certain period of time and what steps are necessary for them to be achieved.
- Marketing and sales should go side by side in any business, and in a freight forwarder, it should be no different. To increase your freight forwarding sales it is important to also set up a marketing strategy for your company.
Investing in a digital marketing strategy for freight forwarders is crucial to the success of your business, but make sure that your forwarding company’s marketing strategy is aligned with your sales team’s strategies.
- Building a relationship with your forwarding partners is key to a successful business and you can do this by becoming part of a logistics network (such as Parnity), joining Linkedin and Facebook groups, and/or attending logistics events.
New business opportunities can come from your current partners, so let them know that you are available if they need extra assistance, and they will continue to rely on you, and may even recommend you to other clients.
- Data is the foundation for understanding your freight company’s sales performance.
Therefore, sales metrics are indispensable tools to guide decision-making and provide a clearer view of the effectiveness of business strategies.
Based on the data provided by the logistics KPI, it is easier to identify the need for adjustments and recalculation of routes to achieve the goals and objectives considered relevant to the sales team.
To sum up
Success in sales in the freight forwarding business involves the ability to understand the mindset of your potential freight partners and provide them with exactly what they are looking for in a business partnership.
Building a sales strategy for freight forwarders is not an easy task but with the tips to boost sales in freight forwarding provided, you will be able to outline the best path for your freight forwarder.